Greetings from Red Mountain!
What a beautiful stretch of weather we’ve had. I’ve planted my tomato and pepper seeds indoors in preparation for the garden. I can’t wait! One of my favorite summer smells is that strange, skunky smell of fresh tomatoes.
We have to plant a lot of tomatoes because my father and Jeff both like to graze the garden. Dad lives close by and rides his four-wheeler right into my garden, pulls salt and pepper shakers out of his pocket, wedges the corner of a paper towel into his shirt for a makeshift bib, and starts eating tomatoes.
One year the garden wasn’t producing to meet his demands. I came home to find he’d left a box of “Miracle Grow – Tomatoes” on my front porch. Just his subtle way of letting me know to increase production, I guess.
Until the garden is ready, we’ll have to just taste wine, huh?
Here’s a quick round up of all of the events on Red Mountain, from tasting room hours and events, places to stay, and places to eat.
A few wineries are on their winter operating hours, so be sure to call ahead and find out what those hours are! If you’re planning to go out, check with the winery to make sure they’re open that day!
Gorgeous weather ahead, and I’m turning on our irrigation this weekend. Woohoo!
Events, Places to Visit:
If a tasting fee for a winery isn’t listed below it’s only because I don’t know what it is, there still may be a tasting fee charged.
- Red Mountain Trails
We are taking reservations and will be available for wagon rides in March!!! The trail horses will be relaxing a while longer and will be back in action soon. Click here to reserve!
- Col Solare – tasting room open 11 am – 5 pm Weds – Sun.
- Cooper – tasting room open 11am – 5 pm SATURDAYS ONLY. Tasting fees often go to various charities.
- Fidelitas – tasting room open 11 am – 4 pm Thurs and Mon. 11 am to 5 pm on Friday – Sunday. Appointment Only on Tues. & Weds. Tasting fee $10.00, refundable with wine purchase.
- Frichette – tasting room open daily 11 am – 5 pm. Tasting fee $10.00, refundable with wine purchase.
- Hamilton Cellars – tasting room open Sun – Thurs 11 am – 5 pm, Fri & Sat 11 am – 6 pm
- Hedges – open by appointment. Book here.
- Hightower – Tasting room open 11 am – 5 pm Saturdays. Red Wine & Chocolate info here.
- Kiona – tasting room open noon – 5 pm daily. Tasting fee $7.00 (refundable with purchase)
- Linda Ellis Andrews — Artist in Glass and Bronze. Linda is a fabulous artist and wonderful person! Make an appointment to visit her studio, you won’t be disappointed!
- Monte Scarlatto — tasting room open 11 am – 4 pm Thurs and Sun. 11 am – 5 pm Fri and Sat. By appointment also. They have a 9-hole golf course among the vines, check it out!
Friday, Feb 27, 4:00 pm. Mardi Gras Dinner. Click Here for info.
- Portrait Cellars — tasting by appointment only. 509-588-4534
- Tapteil – tasting by appointment. 509-588-4460
- Terra Blanca – tasting room open daily 11 am – 6 pm.
Saturdays The Vineyard Grill is open from noon – 6 PM.
- Tucannon – tasting room open Fri – Sun 11 am – 6 pm, Wed – Thurs 11 am – 5 pm. $5.00 tasting fee.
- Tri-Cities Events
- Red Mountain AVA Site (info, places to stay, calendar of more events)
Places to Stay:
- Vacation Rentals by Owner — Red Mountain has some really nice vacation rentals available for your visit. Most of these are right on Red Mountain and visitors get a discount on their trail or wagon ride when they stay.
- Bella Luna House — gorgeous vacation rental offered by Tapteil winery.
- Camping and RV —
- The nearest hotels are located in Richland and Prosser.
Places to Eat
There are a number of chain restaurants around but here are some “off the beaten path” recommendations:
- Tacos Garcia Taco Truck — West Richland. The best taco truck around, and I love their ceviche.
- The Wild Boar Grill — Benton City. This is a new and very welcome addition to the area. I’m a big fan of their pig wings and homemade potato chips!
- The Vineyard Grill at Terra Blanca — Red Mountain. One of the only places on the hill to eat. Beautiful views and great food and wine!