On Pandora: Big Head Todd and the Monsters station.
I don’t know about you, but I love some background music when I’m cooking. And wine. Wine is good too.
These stuffed peppers are my idea of comfort food. We had them often, and I’m not sure where mom got the recipe, but here it is for you to enjoy:
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef (I sometimes use lamb)
- 1/2 c grated onion
- 3 T raw rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 T cold water
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 29 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 T lemon juice
- 2 T sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- Wash peppers. Cut stem end out and scoop out seeds and fiber.
- Mix together the meat, grated onion, rice, egg, water, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the peppers and replace tops if you wish (I don't bother with the tops).
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil for 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Arrange the stuffed peppers in an upright position.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
- Add lemon juice and sugar and cook 30 minutes longer, basting frequently.